As my 32nd birthday approaches, I felt inspired to list 31 things I’ve learned or been reminded of this year. I must admit to being a little surprised by some of what I wrote, but not at all surprised that I could’ve written another 31, too!
As always, remember, this is life as I see it and I encourage you to write your own — no matter how old you are next birthday! 🙂
31 Things I’ve Learned
1) Life is mysterious. There may well be reasons for everything but some are more obvious than others. Do not go searching for one you may never find. It’ll find you if it needs to.
2) Do not assume you want someone else’s life. You don’t know what it’s like or how they feel. However great it looks.
3) Time is a great healer. Most of the time.
4) Chocolate is easy to avoid, as long as it’s not in the house!
5) There is no rainy season in England. It just rains when it wants.
6) Never underestimate the value of a kind word. It can change someone’s day or life.
7) Some people do not like to see you happy. Some people do not like to see you anything other than happy. Take note.
8) Some people are equally available to you in celebration and devastation. Take note.
9) The Notebook remains the best (romantic) movie ever.
10) What was once terrifying can become extremely liberating.
11) Do not make travel plans without double checking, just to save money on flights. You’ll end up paying more to change them anyway!
12) A few minutes spent laughing with a best friend can make almost anything seem better.
13) Being spiritual is about being REAL. Nothing more. Nothing less.
14) Pay attention to ‘red flags’. They pop up for a reason.
15) No day is complete without music.
16) Loving someone does not mean you have to put up with cr*p. Love yourself enough to know when it’s time to step back.
17) Goodbyes are hard but sometimes very necessary if you want to say hello to peace.
18) No matter who you are or what you do, you are not responsible for the choices others make.
19) Love and change are the only two certainties in life. So learn to live with uncertainty.
20) Being sensible is overrated. So is multi-tasking.
21) Being passionate is far too underrated. So is sunshine.
22) Don’t try to prove anything to anyone. Just live your life and teach by example.
23) When listening to the voice in your head, ask yourself ‘Would I say that to a friend?’ It does wonders for self-kindness.
24) Both praise and criticism are opinions. Do not base your worth upon either.
25) You cannot choose who you love but you can choose what you do about it.
26) Acceptance does not mean giving up on wanting more. It just means letting go of the struggle for it.
27) The world is fascinated by wizards and sex. Harry Potter and Fifty Shades of Grey prove that!
28) Denial only serves in giving more power to that which you are denying. The truth will set you free!
29) Disability and ability are each in the eyes of the beholder. Just as beauty is.
30) Your heart dreams because your soul wants to bring those dreams alive. Believe it!
31) Life is precious. Sometimes it takes pain to remind us of that. Sometimes it becomes obvious in the best, magical kind of ways.